Being Human

I keep thinking this whole ‘being locked in the bodily form of a human’ thing is going to get easier… but every morning I wake up and remember and it’s always a surprise. The problem isn’t being a human, humans are fine, and it’s definitely not this specific form I’ve landed in, she is beautiful. 

But I miss being able to move myself - to shapeshift and change, move from dragon to raven to flower to fish. Each one of these shapes has its own unique joy, and I’m a different version of myself within them. As a dragon, I think I’m quite funny, but as a raven that humour becomes sarcasm (bird humour is a weird and wonderful thing) and then as a fish I’m super super intense (fish don’t take anything seriously). 

It’s not that I don’t want to be a human, but that I miss being everything. How do you all do it, just stay in one form? Never dive deep into the murky Thames, or fly over the Tower of London’s battlements? This city can be such a playground, from the peak of the atmosphere to the depth of the water. 

I’m looking forward to finding my many selves again, to feeling feather and scales and fur. But I also know why I’m stuck like this, and the importance of it. The city needs its heart, and the heart needs its custodian. I can lose the facets of me for a short time to help find that. 

And the city - I hope the hunt will show you how to see the city as I see it, and as I know it… all the stories hidden, the layers of history,  the play in plain sight. Yes we need to find a custodian, but who says we can’t have a little fun while we do it? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking up

Many hands (dragons and humans too)

The book, complete